Friday 22 November 2019

William Killey

A strange story related to a neighbour of my father. William Killey (pronounced KILL -EE) lived next door to my father's family in Prospect Place, Tylorstown.

My father, Bill Edwards served in the R.A.F. during the Second World War, stationed in North Africa. He  kept all of his wartime  souvenirs  in an old, black leather satchel. It contained all sorts of mementos from his war time service; postcards, photographs, his medals etc. Often, particularly on a Sunday afternoon, he'd sit us down and we'd look through his memories.
When my father died, I failed to hold on to the old satchel. My older brother claimed it. However, I did manage to scan and photograph most of the contents. He'd kept those items for over fifty years. and I really didn't want to lose touch with them completely


Deep down inside the wallet, I found this newspaper clipping. It tells the story of his next-door neighbour, William Killey. He had joined the navy at the start of the war. The story tells of his ship being sunk. It says that he was lost at sea. 
For many years I'd known of this clipping but I never paid much attention to it. Sad as it was, there appeared to be greater items of treasure inside that case.


This picture shows the churchyard at Old Town, St. Mary’s, Scilly Islands. The Scilly Islands are a group of small islands off the coast of Cornwall in England.  St. Mary’s is the largest of the islands, but is still very small. To give you some idea, the local comprehensive school only has about 110 pupils from all of the 5 Scilly Islands.I visited the islands during the Summer of 2002. On my final day, I visited Old Town, stopped for a cake and a coffee in a local tea shop, then took a walk through the church yard. The church yard is famous because British Prime Minister, Harold Willson is buried there.  As I was walking, I tripped and stumbled. I put my hand on a gravestone to stop myself falling. When I looked down, I noticed the name on the grave. 

It belonged to Seaman W. E. Killey.




  • The grave shows his service number :- D/JX 306364.
  • He died on the 20th of February 1944.
  • He served on the HMS Warwick.
Apparently HMS Warwick was torpedoed whilst patrolling the area near to Lundy Island. William's body was washed ashore on St Mary.

I've a feeling that William wanted me to find him.



Index

No comments:

Post a Comment