Tuesday 16 January 2018

Smith / Dennis connections.

Curious Relationships.

I've recently become aware of a really strange piece of family history. This 
relates to my grandmother Ann Davies nee Smith. She was the one that lived in 
the tiny hamlet of Blaenllechau, high in the Rhondda Valley. This story 
happened at the start of the twentieth century, around the year 1900. 
It is quite complicated to understand so I'll try to build up a time line to explain.

It concerns my grandmother Ann and her two sisters, Elizabeth and Mary.
It also concerns two young colliers called Gomer and William Dennis.
Around this time, Gomer and William were living in rented rooms with 
their father John. They lived in Taff Street, Ferndale.
The Smith sisters lived in Duffryn Street, Ferndale; about half a mile away.

April 1900
Elizabeth Smith marries Gomer Dennis. They move to a house in Brown Street, Ferndale. 
Elizabeth was 19 at the time. Gomer was 27.

July 1900
Ann Smith marries William Dennis.
26th February 1901
William Dennis dies of scarlet fever.

August 1901
Elizabeth gives birth to a baby boy but I've a feeling that she dies in childbirth. 
The baby is named William John. He dies soon after.

Sometime after August 1901
Gomer Dennis marries the third Smith sister, Mary. 
I actually can't find a record of their marriage. 



In the 1911 census they are listed as married, living in Abercrave near 
Ystradgynlais. 
I can remember my mother telling me of trips to Abercrave to visit her and 
and uncle. 
They had four children. One was called Reggie....and I did once meet him.


Index






No comments:

Post a Comment